A Funny Little Story

It really is just a funny little story. I started it years and years ago to poke fun at romance novels and the lusty, perfect characters always featured in them. I'm blogging it because I just like Fred and Myrtle. I do. I hope you'll like them too. Please, make yourself a refreshment, sit back, relax a little, put your smile on and read. As with all blogs, the beginning is at the bottom. Please start at It Was a Dark and Stormy Day and work your way up from there.


Content Warning: THIS STORY CONTAINS EXPLICIT SEX AND IS NOT SUITABLE FOR READERS UNDER 16 OR PRUDES.


Friday, March 9, 2012

The Curse

Myrtle squirmed in her seat, wishing she hadn’t mentioned the curse. Her aunts may not find it at all amusing. She glanced from one to the other, then took another sip of her drink. “Well... I mean... you’re both such beautiful women, but you never married. Sometimes I think I never will either,” she explained.

Both Myrtle’s aunts started to chuckle. “A curse, is it?” asked Mabel with a smile. Myrtle again just looked from one to the other. “Maybe you’re right,” continued Mabel, shrugging. “I had a love when I was younger. My, but he was a lovely fellow, or so I thought. We went along so well for a bit, but then he made a mistake and I tossed him aside. I’ve never found a man to love like that since,” she said, sadly. “But Myrtle, that was my own choice. I’ve had plenty of chances.... even Jim here,” she jerked her head toward the bar, then rolled her eyes.

Myrtle smiled thoughtfully, took another sip of her drink, then glanced briefly toward the bar, then back at her Aunt Mabel. She took another sip and turned to look at her Aunt Millie. Millie glanced at Mabel, who nodded in response.

“I had a great love too,” said Millie quietly, turning back to Myrtle. “It just wasn’t as accepted in those days as it is now.” Myrtle looked at her younger aunt with a questioning look. “Do you remember Alison Tinney?” asked Millie.

“Yes,” said Myrtle right away. “She came every Sunday on horseback, with a saddled horse behind her for you, and the two of you went riding...... Oh my.” Myrtle’s eyes widened. “You and Alison....”

Millie smiled and nodded. “It wasn’t easy to love someone your own gender in those days,” she said. “But we spent many evenings together, and went riding every Sunday.”

“I don’t remember the evenings,” pondered Myrtle.

“Of course you don’t,” laughed Millie. “We didn’t spend them with you. Do you remember that cabin in the back woods you liked to have picnics in?”

Myrtle’s eyes widened again. “You mean....”

“Yes,” said Millie softly.

“That was a cozy little place. I so loved to picnic there,” said Myrtle, who was starting to feel a little bit muddled-minded with the rum. “Where did that cabin even come from?”

“Your grandpa built it, for Alison and me,” said Millie. “He understood,” she smiled.

“What ever happened to Alison?” asked Myrtle.

“She died of breast cancer,” said Millie sadly. “She fought hard. I know what it’s like to spend a lot of time at the hospital with someone you care about.”

There was just silence for awhile, everyone sipping on their drinks. Then, “those horses...” began Myrtle.

“Her dad sold them,” said Millie. “In fact, he sold the whole farm. His wife died of breast cancer, and then so did Alison. He couldn’t care for the horses himself and really, he had no heart for their farm anymore. He moved to a retirement community in Upton.” Myrtle found herself staring a little at her Aunt Millie, who met her gaze and just smiled sadly. “I enjoyed riding,” said Millie thoughtfully. “I could have bought the horse I usually rode, but without Alison.....” She shrugged.

“Life has a knack of doing its own thing,” Mabel piped up. “But we also make some pretty important choices. I’ve wondered many times how different my life would have been if I’d had the patience and courage to accept my man for who he was, instead of being disappointed that he wasn’t the man I wanted him to be.”

Again the place seemed so silent for several moments. Myrtle was feeling a little tipsy on her third rum and Coke. She looked at her Aunt Mabel. “Sometimes, I guess we want them to be the knight in shining armour,” said Myrtle thoughtfully. “But they really aren’t, are they?”

Both aunts shook their heads. “Men are really the weaker sex,” said Mabel. “They’re really simple creatures, whose needs are pretty basic. If you lay claim to one of them, you have to look after him.”

Myrtle nodded, knocking back the rest of her drink. “I think I need a nap,” she said finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment